Since its 2016 launch, 285 U.S. colleges and universities partnered with IFYC to break ground on the Campus Interfaith Inventory. This first-of-its-kind study looked at how campuses are addressing issues of religious and worldview diversity, painting a clear picture of the ways in which various institutions are seeing success, where to focus on improvement, and the promising practices driving impact.
Because these campuses participated, we identified vital trends to help the larger field focus their strategies and practice for interfaith and religious diversity work. Just a few of the key findings include:
- Successful projects are isolated: Interfaith work is often limited to specific niches on campus. Holistic campus-wide strategies and assessment tools – which have the power to increase impact - are rare.
- Aspirations vs. action: While a majority of campuses plan to incorporate interfaith cooperation into their larger diversity agenda and view this as a priority, only 34% consistently address religious considerations in all campus policies related to diversity, and 79% reported that religious diversity training is offered less than other types of training.
- Communicating accommodations: Nearly all campuses have religious and worldview accommodations in place for students, but often fall short in making students aware of these through campus-wide communications.
Explore these and many more trends, as well as field-wide benchmarks and campus success stories by downloading the 2016-17 Campus Interfaith Inventory report. These insights help every institution understand the landscape of campus religious diversity work and set the agenda for effective interfaith engagement.
This year, we invite you to share vital info, get your campus recognized, and unlock exclusive new opportunities by participating in the Campus Interfaith Inventory.
Any knowledgeable campus official can represent their institution, and we’ve designed it to be simple and straightforward, with a minimum investment of time.
In addition to contributing to important field-wide benchmarks and pinpointing promising practices, taking part in the Inventory offers new and unique benefits.
- It’s a powerful planning tool: In addition to capturing key insights, the Inventory doubles as a framework for planning and analyzing your religious diversity efforts. The questions it explores have served as a useful guide to help participants consider new ideas and identify growth areas. 86% of past participants agree or strongly agree that the Leadership Practices, which the Inventory is built on, “are a useful framework for my institution in thinking about advancing interfaith excellence on campus”. You will receive an individualized campus report, summarizing how your institution’s interfaith and religious diversity efforts compare to peer institutions as well as national benchmarks across U.S. higher education.
- Get your campus listed: Participating institutions will be added to the national list of campuses that are demonstrating a commitment to supporting students’ diverse identities and creating inclusive climates for those of different faiths and worldviews. Receive recognition from peers, as well as prospective students and their families searching for institutions that prioritize religious diversity and welcoming campus climates.
- Unlock exclusive opportunities: Contributing to the Inventory gives you access to special resources from IFYC. All participating campuses will be offered free coaching from IFYC staff to help strategize effective interfaith initiatives based on Inventory findings. Participation also makes your campus eligible to apply for a Campus Innovation Grant – a $4,000 grant designed to support your institution’s sustainable interfaith cooperation efforts amidst national political, cultural, and religious division.
Explore the rest of this page for more information. If you’re ready to get started, fill out this form and we’ll be in touch, or address questions to Rebecca Russo, Director of Campus Stewardship, at firstname.lastname@example.org.