- Video: What's Up with the Baha'i Tradition? In this video, IFYC alumna Hannah Minks visits the Baha'i Temple in Wilmette, IL and speaks with the Temple's Director about the basics of the Baha'i faith.
- The Pluralism Project: Essays on the Baha'i Tradition: This toolkit contains a plethora of information about the basics and the intricacies of the Baha'i faith.
- Video: Baha'i, How You Doing? This video is part of a series called Have a Little Faith by Soul Pancake. In this episode, Zach Anner explores the values of Baha'i and dispels common misconceptions.
- What's the Right Response to a Hate Crime? Here's one Baha'i perspective on how to respond if a hate crime happens in your community.
Buddhism is considered a religion to some, a philosophy to others, and simply a spiritual practice for more still. There are some common principles that tie Buddhist traditions together, though, including impermanence, the inevitability of suffering, and freedom through nirvana. Want to learn more? Check out these articles, opinion pieces, and resources.
- Buddhism and Meditation for Beginners: This Q&A guide walks you through the basic concepts, beliefs, and practices within Buddhism as well as book recommendations and resources to learn more.
- The Five Mindfulness Trainings: Mindfulness is at the core of many Buddhist theologies and these five practices are the root of the teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh, one of IFYC's interfaith heroes.
- The Dalai Lama's Message on Compassion: The Dalai Lama (the leader of Tibetan Buddhism) is widely known for his compassion and respect for all, regardless of worldview. Here's his message on compassion for the individual.
Hinduism is the third largest tradition in the world and while it arose out of India and South Asia, not all Indians are Hindu and not all Hindus are Indian. Because Hinduism is such an old tradition, it encompasses a broad range of rituals and traditions, but one thing that ties many Hindus together is the idea of the Divine Light existing in all people and that the entire universe is a family. Want to learn more? Check out these articles, opinion pieces, and resources.
- Video: Hinduism Misconceptions: Students at Mississippi State University put together a series of videos to dispel common misconceptions about their worldview. In this video, student Aishwarya talks about misconceptions about Hinduism.
- 10 Things I Wish Everyone Knew About Hinduism: Take a peek at this rundown of 10 things one Hindu woman wishes other folks knew about Hinduism, including its core principles, iconographies, and primary sacred texts.
- Video: Ramayan, the Story of Diwali: Diwali, the Festival of Lights, is one of the most well-known Indian holidays. This animated video shares a story of the victory of good over evil, and the reason why Diwali is celebrated. [Note: Diwali is also celebrated by Sikhs and Jains but for different reasons. More on that here.]
Islam is the second largest tradition in the world with almost 2 billion followers. Muslims follow the Five Pillars of Islam: the declaration of faith, daily prayers, fasting during the month of Ramadan, almsgiving, and the pilgrimage to Mecca. Want to learn more? Check out these articles, opinion pieces, and resources.
- Far From Invisible: In this piece from IFYC's digital magazine INTER, Amira Alsareinya shares how she came to embrace her identity as an American Muslim woman and approach the conversations that identity created.
- On Black American Muslim Contributions to the Fabric of Our Society: In our society today, many folks assume that all Muslims are immigrants or of Middle Eastern descent, but more than a third of Muslims in the U.S. are Black. Check out this opinion piece that examines the substantial impact Black Muslims have had on American society.
- Muslim Narrative: IDEALS Report on Incoming Muslim Students: Check out this report to learn more about common attitudes and expectations of first-year Muslim students going into college.
- Art and Empathy: A Conversation with Rohina Malik: As part of our podcast, Common Knowledge, Muslim playwright Rohina Malik discusses how she has used stories to challenge negative stereotypes.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, also known as Mormonism, is a denomination of Christianity. As with other denominations of Christianity, Mormons believe in the Holy Trinity and Jesus Christ as savior, but Mormons also believe in living prophets and the Book of Mormon as an additional holy scripture. Want to learn more? Check out these articles, opinion pieces, and resources.
- Video Series: What Mormons Believe: This video series examines specifics of modern Mormon practices and theology including Mormon views on baptism, temples, women, the environment, and more.
- 10 Things We Wish Everyone Knew About Mormonism: In this article, two Mormon men outline their answers to common questions they've gotten or misconceptions they've frequently had to clarify.
- Video: Q&A with IFYC Alumna Keryn Wouden: Revisit Better Together Day 2015 with this conversation about Mormonism between two IFYC alumni - Adam Garner (atheist), and Karyn Wouden (Mormon).
- Podcast: Mormonism and Interfaith Cooperation: In this episode of IFYC's podcast, Common Knowledge, author Joanna Brooks discusses diversity within the Mormon Church and how Mormons engage with interfaith work specifically.
Paganism encompasses traditions that are earth-focused, such as Wicca, Druidism, animism, and many others. The celebration of nature is one of the most important aspects of Paganism. Most major Pagan holidays revolve around nature, the passing of seasons, and renewal and growth. Some Pagans identify as witches and believe in magic. Want to learn more? Check out these articles, opinion pieces, and resources.
- What is Paganism? Learn more about the basics of Paganism, including the common beliefs that tie the multiple traditions together and how many Pagans approach the idea of the Divine.
- Litha: The Celtic Pagan Traditions of My Ancestors: Read about how one student found her Pagan faith through learning about her ancestors and how her faith manifests itself in her celebration of Litha.
- 10 Things I Love About Witchcraft: Witchcraft is one common way Paganism is lived out and can be a great source of comfort, especially to Wiccans. Here are 10 things that help one Pagan effectively navigate his life and empower him to face the world.
- Everyday Magic: Witchcraft for Busy Lives: In this piece, one college student outlines a few simple ways they keep up with Pagan rituals while managing the busy, sometimes overwhelming life of a college student.